About the name Emerson Fields: The little intersection at Highway 63 and State Highway Y is known to everyone as the town of Excello. However, there is a backstory to this old coal mining town. A wood yard was established about 7 miles south of Macon City on the John J. King property. The farmers would bring cord wood to the yard for the trains to burn and use for steam. Around 1868 a coal mine was opened on King’s property. He made a deal with the railroad to furnish coal to them to burn if they put in a track to haul it to the mine, which they did. King named the little section of track Emerson’s Switch, after his son, Emerson. A building went up like a general store. A platform from another building was used for a pair of scales to weigh the coal. Joseph Thompson then built his residence and he was the one in charge of the scales. The government was solicited for a post office in 1869. When the village applied for a post office they were made aware that there was already a post office in the state bearing the same name. It was decided then to name the town to correspond with the post office and they called it Excello. Even after the name change in 1878 the company store was still "Emerson Coal Store" and railroaders continued to refer to Excello as Emerson Switch. A tract of land designated for the town of Excello was sold to the public on May 30, 1878 and it was filed for record the same day. Emerson was described in a newspaper as a thrifty village with much to offer in 1885. A blacksmith shop, a saloon, a hotel, the Emerson Coal store, a grocery store, feed store, a mill, church and other businesses were started. The Excello Coal and Mining Company was formed in 1885 with the miners owning stock in the company. The population at that time was about 250. We felt like it was fitting to honor the town of Excello and the wishes of Mr. King by incorporating Emerson into our venue name. It is our hope that it will resurrect some history of the original village. We hope to reflect a “new and prosperous business industry” as the area was referred to in the Macon Republican in 1885.